Savory and Sweet Pies

 


By popular demand, I am sharing the instructions to make these lovely pies I assembled this week. I should add a caveat here: I don't use recipes often, I never follow them to the letter, and I NEVER write down what I'm doing while I'm doing it. All of the seasonings in these recipes are "to taste." I don't measure seasonings while I am using them, so I definitely don't have a record of the quantities used. I will come back in to this post and refine the recipe as I have a chance, but for now I wanted to make sure the basics were recorded. Enjoy!

Beef filling

Ingredients:

1 pound ground beef

Flour (Just a few spoonfuls to thicken)

1 can stout beer (I used a local Oregon brewery, but anything not too bitter is great. I tend towards a sweeter stout!)

2 potatoes, diced small (I like Yukon gold, but you do you)

2 sprigs of thyme

Brown sugar to taste

Worcestershire sauce

Salt & Pepper

Balsamic vinegar (again, I used a locally made bourbon-cask balsamic, but I don’t imagine that makes a big difference)

Beef filling instructions: Brown the ground beef in a pan. Once it is done, drain off most of the grease (I left a little because it’s tasty!). Add a little bit of flour to the remaining grease and the beef and move it around in the hot pan to evenly spread it and toast the flour a bit. Add the can of stout and bring it up to a simmer. Add the potatoes and thyme and let it all simmer until the potatoes are tender. While the potatoes are cooking, this is the time to build the flavor of the sauce. Add the Worcestershire, brown sugar, balsamic, salt & pepper, and balsamic. All of this is to taste, so keep tasting until you have the balance of sweet, savory, and bitter that you like. Once the potatoes are tender and the sauce has thickened, take out the thyme and take the filling off the stove. This is a good time to take the pie crust out of the fridge, if you’re lazy like me, and let it come to room temperature. Otherwise, I GUESS you could take out your fancy homemade pie crust, if you’re better than me (which we both know you are).

Apple filling

Ingredients:

Apples (duh)

Sugar (about ½ cup for 2 cups of sliced apple)

Cinnamon

Ground ginger

Ground nutmeg (optional)

Apple filling instructions: Cut the apples into fairly small pieces.  Place them in the saucepan and sprinkle the sugar on top. Place the pan on medium-low heat and stir occasionally until the apples start to release liquid. Once there is a decent amount of liquid in the pan turn the heat down to low and add spices. I like nutmeg, but some people find it overwhelming, so season to taste. Allow the mixture to cook on low heat until the apples are tender but not mushy. Let the mixture cool before filling the pies. 

Assembly

Ingredients:

Pie crust – I bought mine, don’t judge me. I have never made pie crust, and I’m not about to start now. I bet this would be amazing with homemade pie crust, but I am lazy.

1 egg

Assembly instructions: The store-bought pie crusts come in circles, which is perfect for our purposes. Lay the crust out and pinch shut any breaks or tears in the crust. Now cut the crust into 4 pieces, like a big pie. You should end up with 4 wedges of crust for each pie circle, big ol’ 90-degree arcs. Once the filling is cooled down, put a big spoonful of filling on each piece of crust. I use approximately 2 tablespoons of filling for each slice. Fold each piece over to form a “pie slice” shape. Use a fork to press all along the edges of the pie slice, sealing all gaps and making sure the pieces stick together. Use a knife to cut a few small slits in the top of each piece to allow the filling to vent. Beat the egg and brush the egg across the top of each piece. For the apple pies, sprinkle a little cinnamon sugar on top. Now they’re ready to go in the oven! I have found that 23 minutes is the perfect amount of time, but this may vary based on your crust.

Sauces

Creamy lemon dill sauce: Combine plain yogurt, crushed garlic, dill (fresh is better but dried is fine), salt, pepper, and the juice from half a lemon. This sauce is better if it sits at least an hour before serving.

Cranberry sauce: Combine 4 cups of cranberries, 1 cup of water, and 1 cup of sugar in a saucepan. Place on medium heat until it comes to a boil, then reduce to low and simmer. Add a peeled piece of ginger and a few cinnamon sticks. Simmer until the cranberries burst. Remove the ginger and cinnamon sticks and chill the sauce. Serve cold.

Popular Posts