An Magical Gastronomic Evening

Last night we went out to celebrate my sister's birthday. A new brewery opened a while ago here in town, an unusual experience in small-town life. We had been once when they had a small, limited opening menu, and it was good, but not life-changing. What we experienced last night, though, was like no food I had ever had before. The evening consisted mostly of the six of us exclaiming in wonder at the food and drinks we received and passing things around the table for others to try, because we are the food-sharing kind of people! The restaurant is called Plank Town, on Main Street in Springfield, Oregon. If you're a local and haven't been there, shame on you. If you're not local, then you're very lucky not to live in Springfield, Oregon, but I am sorry that you have not had a chance to experience this culinary gem.  

My Chile-Lime Flank Steak Sammy was tender and delicious flank steak in a spicy marinade on crispy, chewy ciabatta. Kate enjoyed the Succotash, though I ate as much of it as she did, especially the date balsamic reduction and roasted filberts that gave it an extra touch. Maecy's sirloin was so tender that I initially thought they had brought her the wrong dish, because all the sirloin I have had has always been a little dry and tough, no matter how well prepared it is. Her polenta was creamy and flavorful. Everything we ordered was the best rendition of its own genre. The drink selection was also excellent. I had an apricot apple hard cider, a mead, a light beer with citrus notes, and a cocktail that consisted of bourbon, St. Germaine, and lime with a cherry in the bottom. Maecy had a cocktail with whiskey, bitters, and sugar, in a glass, rinsed in absinthe. 

I find it hard to express exactly how good this food is. Kate and I have eaten at many restaurants and consider ourselves to be somewhat of foodies. I have eaten at fairly pricey locales in Las Vegas, Los Angeles, San Francisco, and Seattle, all places known for high-end dining and good experiences. I can tell you now that this was the best complete meal I have ever had. It also didn't break our bank accounts in the way many big city eateries would have. Our total for six entrees, thirteen beers, two cocktails, three appetizers, and three deserts was under $200. And now that I write out how many drinks we consumed I realize why my head hurts and I feel like drinking a six-pack of Gatorade. Such an evening, such a meal, and such a wonderful experience!

Popular Posts