New Diagnosis, New Eating

Hello all! I know it has been a long time since I have updated this blog. Life has been its usual mess of hard work and brief interludes of peace. We wouldn't have it any other way!

In the last month, I have been diagnosed with a medical condition called PCOS. This is a condition wherein a string of cysts grow in my ovaries. These can burst, which is incredibly painful, or they can also just sit there and mess with my hormone levels and prevent ovulation. Essentially they are a pain in the tush! My doctor tells me that they are strongly associated with sedentary lifestyles (which I don't particularly have), and with insulin resistance, which is when your body cannot use insulin effectively.

The end result is that I am now adjusting my eating style to account for this new diagnosis. I have always eaten a beautiful rainbow of vegetables, but they have been balanced by a healthy love of red meat and bread. It turns out I am now not supposed to eat things like white bread, sugar, and red meat. Instead, I am supposed to replace those with lots and lots of veggies and healthy, fibrous carbs. That is not particularly painful for me, as I have always loved vegetables, but I do have to say I already miss my red meat. That has been the most painful part of all of this for me. I have never been a pasta person, and I don't have a lot of bread in my life. I am fine with having a piece of fresh fruit for dessert but take away my red meat and I am in tears!

So many veggies!

The good thing about all these changes is that I am once again motivated to create new recipes and craft new flavors. It would be impossible for me to eat the same three vegetables every single day. My husband could eat a piece of chicken breast, some pasta, and a slice of french bread for dinner an indefinite number of consecutive evenings. I, on the other hand, must have variety.

I made lettuce wraps, and they actually turned out delicious!

In the last week, I have made roasted romanesco with turkey sausage and sweet potatoes, swiss chard and diced apple simmered in white wine (I'm also not supposed to have wine, but can I just live?), and lots of eggs! I have also mastered the use of the air fryer, an appliance I have had for two years but am just now learning to appreciate. Yes, that's right, I have had an air fryer since before they were cool.

Living that swiss chard life.  
I am excited to see what new creations I come up with as I attempt to move forward. It is a challenge balancing the fact that I always want to eat a huge variety of interesting foods and the reality that there are some things I simply cannot eat, but I know I will find a way to make it work.

Cheers!

Popular Posts